Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chorizo Cheese Dip and Salsa

Invite these two spicy dishes to your next taco night! I did and they will be coming back on a regular basis. Both of these recipes make quite a bit so they are great for parties and get-togethers, too.  The cheese dip is a recipe that I came across from Taste of Home, one of my favorite magazines. If I make either of these at home for just family, there will be plenty left over so, I usually end up giving out a batch to a lucky friend or co-worker. My salsa recipe is one that I adapted from a very good friend of mine who made it for me several years ago when I was visiting her in Arizona and I've been hooked on it ever since.



Chorizo Cheese Dip
• 1/2 pound uncooked chorizo (I used a 10 oz. tube)
• 1 small green pepper, chopped
• 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 cartson (12 ounces each) white Mexican dipping cheese
• Tortilla chips 
(The chips were absent for picture day).
              
Crumble chorizo into a large skillet; cook over medium heat for 6-8 minutes or until fully cooked. Drain. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the peppers, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in cayenne and chorizo; heat through.

Heat cheese according to package directions; stir into meat mixture. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 133 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 488 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 7 g protein.
Originally published as Chorizo Cheese Dip in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p223




Homemade Salsa
• 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes
• 4 oz. can of green chilies
• 7 oz. can of salsa verde
• one bunch of green onions (sliced)
• 2-3 slices of jalapenos with a spoonful of juice from a jar (if you like it super hot, you can use 1 fresh jalapeno)
garlic salt (to taste)
• garlic powder (to taste)
• a handful of cilantro leaves



Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until everything is blended together. Take a spoonful taste and adjust to your liking. Usually, this is where I add more jalapenos, cilantro, or garlic powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment